Annual & personal leave
- Full-time staff are entitled to 4 weeks of Annual Leave per year; or proportional equivalent if part-time. Staff have the right to take annual leave in an unbroken period at a time that is mutually convenient between the staff member and the University. The University cannot unreasonably withhold agreement on when leave is taken. Casual staff do not have annual leave.
- Annual leave can be accumulated for up to 8 weeks on request, which shall not be unreasonably refused. Staff must be given 3 months written notice for compulsory use of annual leave (of up to 10 weeks) and can retain 2 weeks.
- Annual leave may be cashed out in cases of hardship and may be able to be paid in advance.
- Full-time staff are entitled to 3 weeks (2 weeks sick leave; 1 week of other personal leave) per year to a maximum of 52 weeks; or proportional equivalent if part time. staff receive 5 weeks of personal leave on commencement and an additional 8 weeks in the first year. Casual staff do not have sick or personal leave.
- Other personal leave may be accessed for family/carer responsibilities, bereavement, moving; and volunteering (subject to limits).
- If either sick leave or other personal leave is exhausted, staff may use the remaining balance for leave.
Why it pays to be union-
There may be instances where management requests you take leave at a time or for a duration which is not in your interests. As an NTEU member you have guidance and support with advocating your preferences and assistance with escalating concerns when necessary.
Like the sound of these provisions?
Want to find out more about making them a reality in your workplace?
Sign up for updates on our campaign below!